Note: this blog is a mirror of my HP Labs Blog, on the same topic, accessible at: http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Research-on-Security-and/bg-p/163

Monday, December 29, 2008

2009-2010: Predictions about Identity and Privacy Management

During the next two years (2009-2010), the Identity and Privacy Management areas are going to be subject to the consolidation and cost cutting trends that are already happening in security and, more in general, in IT.

In my view investments in Identity Management (IdM) are going to be very pragmatic, also driven by the need to: manage a very “variable” workforce; cope with an increase of internal enterprise reorganizations and consolidations; deal with an increased number of identity thefts and related attacks.

As such I believe that the IdM areas that will get most of the market attentions are going to be in the areas of:
  • Entitlement management (and automated user provisioning)
  • Enterprise SSO
  • Authentication strategies

I don’t believe that client-based federated identity management and advanced authorization solutions will be driving the Identity Management space, during this period of time.

From a Privacy Management perspective, I still believe that most of the action will happen in R&D contexts.

Of course, this is my view, based on some evidence and intuitions. I would be interested in getting your opinions.

I am also planning to compile a list of world-wide R&D projects and (industrial/university-based) R&D activities in the space of Identity and Privacy Management. I will post information about this. Of course, feel free to send me your input and relevant URLs.

--- NOTE: my original HP blog can be found here ---

No comments: