Note: this blog is a mirror of my HP Labs Blog, on the same topic, accessible at: http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Research-on-Security-and/bg-p/163

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Who Am I?

Well, on the Web this also depends on the search engine …

As a simple test, I searched (on 23 December 2007) for my surname, “casassa mont”, by using three popular search engines:
  • Google: 5470 results
  • Microsoft MSN: 15900 results
  • Yahoo: 5070 results

Quite interestingly Microsoft MSN indicates a (potential) number of findings 3 times greater than the ones provided by Yahoo and Google … This ratio is pretty much the same also for a more specific search, about “marco casassa mont”:

  • Google: 3960 results
  • Microsoft MSN: 9940 results
  • Yahoo: 3790 results

In this simple test, these search engines provide consistent information about my “web profile”: MSN also includes some oddities, i.e. specific findings not immediately spotted by the other two search engines. Of course I didn’t check for all the findings, just the first 30 …

Just wondering about the impact that “Consent and Privacy Management” could have on “digital personae”, in the context of the web and search engines …

--- NOTE: my original HP blog can be found here ---

No comments: